The Starting Point Mentorship Co-Coordinator position plays a critical role in overseeing mentors and mentees. Co-coordinators will facilitate a course that meets twice a week, during which the coordinators train mentors and provide the proper support needed to best serve mentees. They also regularly communicate with all mentees, to ensure that they are receiving the mentorship/communication needed.
1. Familiarity with the SPMP and Transfer Student Center.
2. Ability to work as part of a team with co-coordinator, Transfer Student Center staff, and other campus partners.
3. Honesty and genuine compassion for students who face challenges as transfers.
4. Ability and willingness to accept direction from supervisor.
5. Good oral and written English communication skills.
6. Ability to be comfortable with the diversity and the various intersections (ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic
status, etc.) of our multicultural community.
7. Ability to maintain required work schedule, be on time, and be accountable for how time is used.
8. Ability to use good judgment regarding confidentiality issues.
9. Ability to serve as a resource/advocate on panels, events, presentation, retreats, and other center sponsored
10. Provide organized documentation of Mentors/Mentees activities throughout the semester.
11. Lead in a supportive and encouraging manner.
Specific Job Functions:
1. Serving as the point of contact for mentees, providing them with SPMP information, instructions, and updates.
2. Ensuring that both mentees and mentors are having a positive experience; regularly checking-in and resolving
conflicts as they arrive; this will take form through responding to emails and in-class questions and concerns.
3. Organizing and coordinating mentor participation in panels; this will require communication with both mentors and
4. Meeting weekly to plan with fellow co-coordinator and SPMP advisor.
5. Coordinate weekly classes, which involve lecturing to 20 approximately students and hosting guest speakers.
6. Communicate goals, deadlines, and overall objective of the program and mentorship to students.
7. Facilitate communication between mentors and mentees an provide structure to the conversation.
8. Ability to track mentor/mentee enrollment, update syllabus, and other duties as assigned.
1. Work-study required.
2. Transfer Student at Cal required.
3. Leadership experience.
4. Preferred prior facilitation experience.
SPMP Coordinator Requirements:
- Starting Pay: $15/hr (work-study required)
- Work 10 hours per week
- Attend Fall 2018 a Training/Retreat for TSC student staff on Saturday, August 25th, 2018
- Availability for Golden Bear Orientation, Monday, August 13, 2018 through Tuesday, August 21, 2018
- Attendance at major programs the SPMP / Transfer Center hosts throughout the semester (a notification of events will be provided in advance)
- Attend weekly meeting on Friday with all TSC staff from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- Coordinators attend a weekly hour long check-in with advisor of the program.
- Facilitate SPMP course twice a week.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FRIDAY, FRIDAY APRIL 12, 2018 BY 11:59PM
UC Berkeley, Centers for Educational Equity & Excellence
9am–5:00pm | Monday–Friday | 100 Cesar E. Chavez Student Center
For general questions: Contact Andrew Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org