Major Insights Mentorship Program
Major Insights is a mentoring program that connects first semester transfer students with continuing transfer students in the same major. New students will learn about academic expectations and the ins and outs of being an upper division student within a particular major.
How does the Major Insights Program work?
When a student indicates interest in meeting with a continuing transfer student in the same major, we will match the student with a continuing transfer student within the same major. We will then contact the mentor and ask them to reach out to the student by email. Together they will arrange how they would like to communicate. They may arrange a time to meet in person or work together exclusively via e-mail exchanges if that’s more convenient. Mentors are asked to meet at least twice with mentees. We will begin matching students with mentors starting in the first several weeks of the semester.
Students can discuss various topics including:
- Tips that can help with navigating upper division coursework
- Strategies for academic success
- Working with faculty and graduate student instructors
- Creating a support network
- Or any other questions that come up during the first semester transition to Cal.