Transfer Student Center Professional Development Opportunities
Education 198 Instructor
Overview: The Transfer Student Center, a program within the Centers for Educational Equity and Excellence at UC Berkeley, offers a 1 unit Pass/Not Pass transition course for first semester transfer students. The course is designed to assist students with making a successful transition to the research university. Emphasis is placed on developing strategies for upper division coursework, exploring enrichment opportunities outside the classroom, and encouraging community and student engagement. The course will focus on academic strategies for upper division course work with particular emphasis on critical reading strategies, exam preparation, and writing skills. Guest presenters share information on career planning, tools for college success, and the library resources. This course is a popular choice for transfer students who must navigate a new academic and co-curricular landscape. Enrollment is limited to 30 students per section.
1. Facilitate one sections of Education 198 (Each section meets once a week for one hour)
2. Hold regularly scheduled office hours
3. Participate in a weekly instructor seminar on Wednesday's 12pm-1pm
4. Provide an encouraging space for discussing and learning
5. Prepare class sessions and assignments to help student grasp course content
5. Work with Student Assistants assigned to the section
6. Help students in matter related to their academic success, life goals, and professional development.
Education 198 Instructor Requirements:
- Availability for EDU 198 Instructor Training, Thursday, August 9, 2018 and Friday, August 10, 2018
- Attend weekly Instructor meetings on Wednesday from 12:00pm-1:00pm.
Please consult with your supervisor, if you are able to take on this additional role.
UC Berkeley, Centers for Educational Equity & Excellence
9am–5:00pm | Monday–Friday | 100 Cesar E. Chavez Student Center
For general questions: Contact Steven Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org