Transfer Student Center Job Opportunities
Education 198 Instructor
Overview: The Transfer Student Center, a program within the Centers for Educational Equity and Excellence at UC Berkeley, offers a 1 unit Pass/Not Pass transition course for first semester transfer students. The course is designed to assist students with making a successful transition to the research university. Emphasis is placed on developing strategies for upper division coursework, exploring enrichment opportunities outside the classroom, and encouraging community and student engagement. The course will focus on academic strategies for upper division course work with particular emphasis on critical reading strategies, exam preparation, and writing skills. Guest presenters share information on career planning, tools for college success, and the library resources. This course is a popular choice for transfer students who must navigate a new academic and co-curricular landscape. Enrollment is limited to 30 students per section.
1. Facilitate two or three sections of Education 198 (Each section meets once a week for one hour)
2. Hold 4 regularly scheduled office hours
3. Participate in a weekly instructor seminar on Wednesday's 12pm-1pm
4. Provide an encouraging space for discussing and learning
5. Prepare class sessions and assignments to help student grasp course content
5. Work with Student Assistants assigned to the section
6. Help students in matter related to their academic success, life goals, and professional development.
1. Currently enrolled UC Berkeley graduate student
2. Teaching experience preferred
3. Ability to work successfully with students from diverse
ethnic, socio-economic, and language backgrounds
4. Strong oral and written communication skills
5. An interest in helping students develop as scholars
Starting Rate : $22.00 an hour
Length of Appointment: August 15, 2018 - December 14, 2018,
2 sections- 13.5 hours per week
3 sections- 20 hours per week
This position does not provide a fee remission.
Education 198 Instructor Requirements:
- Availability for EDU 198 Instructor Training, Wednesday, August 8, 2018 and Thursday, August 9, 2018
- Attend weekly Instructor meetings on Wednesday from 12:00pm-1:00pm.
- Attendance at major programs the Transfer Center hosts throughout the semester (a notification of events will be provided in advance).
UC Berkeley, Centers for Educational Equity & Excellence
9am–5:00pm | Monday–Friday | 100 Cesar E. Chavez Student Center
For general questions: Contact Steven Nguyen at email@example.com