Major Insights is a mentoring program that connects first semester transfer students with continuing transfer students in the same major. New students will learn about academic expectation and the in's and out of being an upper division student in the major.
How does the Major Insights Program work?
When a student indicates interest in meeting with a continuing transfer student in the same major we will match the student with a name from our major’s database. We will then contact the mentor and ask them to contact the student by email. Together they will arrange for a time to meet. The mentor/mentee can choose to work together exclusively via e-mail exchanges if that’s more convenient. Mentors are asked to meet at least once or twice with mentees. We will begin matching students with mentors starting in the first several weeks of the semester.
Students can discuss various topics including:
- Tips that can help with navigating upper division coursework
- Strategies for academic success
- Working with faculty and graduate student instructors
- Creating a support network
- Or any other questions that come up during the first semester transition to Cal.