Transfer Student Center
The Transfer Student Center is currently seeking current transfer students to serve as Peer Advocates. This position is designed to provide students an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills and gain experience working with transfer students. Peer Advocates will represent the Transfer Student Center in a professional manner while maintaining that ever-important personal approach. The Transfer Student Center recognizes that transitioning to a 4-year research university from another college or university can be challenging. The Center offers a broad range of programs and services that focus on providing guidance and support, fostering student engagement, and building community on campus.
Peer Advocates play a vital role within the Transfer Student Center by providing a safe and welcoming environment for transfer students. Peer Advocates also get involved with special projects or create a project that serves the broader transfer community . Other responsibilities may include planning and implementing programs/events relevant to the transfer community or marketing and outreaching to transfer students.
By participating, Peer Advocates have access to professional staff members, develop transferrable skills in leadership and program planning, and may develop a clear understanding of the need for assisting transfer students.
- Responsible for assisting newly admitted and continuing transfer students with navigating campus resources and opportunities.
- Advise students on various campus policies and procedures
- Work as part of a team to create a welcoming community space for the hundreds of students that visit the center each week.
- Assist with the centers running operation which includes, but is not limited to, answering phones, providing information and referral and event planning.
- Participate in a bi-weekly training that focus’ on building communication, peer advising and cultural competency skills.
Employee will demonstrate knowledge of specialized needs of students in the transfer community; possess excellent Microsoft office skills; and the ability t work blocks of time throughout the work week. Position requires commitment to excellent customer services and strong oral communication skills. Must have ability to work with diverse student populations. Knowledge of university and campus resources for transfer student desirable. Required attendance at mandatory orientation and training sessions.
The Student Peer Advocate position are hired to work around 10 hrs/wk at $13.00/
• Work-study preferred
• Demonstrate knowledge of specialized needs of students in the transfer community
• Available Mon. 9am-11am, Tues. 9am-11am, or Friday 3pm-5pm for training/meetings. Time subject to change,
encouraged to apply even if these time conflict.
• Knowledge of university and campus resources for transfer students
• Ability to work with diverse student population
• Excellent customer service and strong oral communication skills
• Attendance, dedication, professionalism and timeliness
• Attend weekly training and other assigned events